This session contains a variety of exercises. Some of you may have less time for your session so just remove the drill of your choice. We have included dribbling, shooting, 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 activities. The skill of the week which the players should practice at home is the scissors.
Each player dribbles around with a ball. At various times the coach shouts out a body part such as “left knee” or “head.” The players have to stop the ball and place the appropriate body part on the ball. Make time to practice last weeks homework, the drag back.
Periodically the coach can halt the dribbling and ask the players to perform one of the warm up movements below:
Shooting, with aerial control and agility – 10 minutes
- Eye on the ball for aerial control
- Skills to beat the coach
- Vary the movements back through the cones and look for controlled rather than rushed movements.
PART 2 – 10 minutes
1 vs 1 to 3 goals
- One player comes out and plays 1 vs 1 with the defender
- They can score by passing into the goal behind the defender which is worth 2 points or in either of the side goals which is worth 1 point. This provides challenge for the stronger players but also allows the not as strong players to make a decision that will allow them to be successful.
- After attacking the players changes roles with the attacker becoming the defender and vice versa
If the defender wins the balls they can score a counterattack goal worth 1 point by dribbling through the white starting cones (or gate). This is worth 1 point.
- Keep the ball close when dribbling to attack the defender
- Can the forwards be creative and use a trick to beat the defender
- Players should accelerate away after beating the defender
- The players must now dribble the ball through the cones goals.
PART 3 – 12 minutes
Dribble and shoot, 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 to goal. Although not the sole focus of the exercise we begin to introduce the 2 vs 1 to the players.
As above for dribbling and shooting
For the older players in this age grouping can they stay onside and be able to receive in the 2 vs 1
PART 4- 5 Minutes
Skill of the week
The juggling progression:
1/ Drop the ball let it bounce kick it and catch it. When you can do 10 with each foot move on.
2/ Drop the ball, kick it up before it hits the ground and catch it. When you can do 10 with each foot move on.
3/ Drop the ball juggle twice before it hits the ground and catch it. When you can do 10 with each foot move on.
4/ Progress to normal dribbling
You might also enjoy: