Running with the ball – skill of the week the Ronaldo chop.
This session is aimed primarily at players aged 7 – 11 although the exercises could certainly be tweaked a little and used for older players and the session would work for many U7 groups. The main focus is on running with ball, but the session allows a number of skills to be practiced including passing, shooting, 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 to goal. At the end of the session we have provided a skill of the week that is intended to be sent to the players for them to practice at home. This week it actually includes 2 skills, the flip flap and the Ronaldo chop.
Body ball – 5 minutes
The warm up continues with a running with the ball and turning practice before progressing to ball manipulation and close control. Keep the amount of players in each line small enough to allow them to get thoroughly warmed up and have as many touches on the ball as possible. Three or four players in each group would be ideal. Stop the practice at different points and have the players perform dynamic stretches before starting the technical work again.
As well as providing many touches this warm up helps the players develop their coordination. This is a vital physical quality that players of this age are often able to improve rapidly.
- soft, small touches
- Keep the ball close and under control
- The practice starts with a shot at goal
- After this the player who shot defends 1 vs 1 against another player who goes to goal
- Immediately after this another player joins in creating a 2 vs 1 situation
- A positive attitude to take risks in the 1 vs 1
- Communication in the 2 vs 1
The next part of the session starts with an unopposed passing and receiving drill. Progresses to a 3 goal game where the players can score a point either by shooting into the large central zone or by dribbling the ball through small goals in the side channels.
- The practice starts with an unopposed running with the ball and passing pattern
- The progression is to a 3 goal small sided game where the players can score goals either by shooting into the main central goal or by running with the ball through target, outside goals.
- Head up when running with the ball
- Get the ball out of your feet when running with it
- Positive attitude to run with the ball
Remove the small goals on the side and progress to a free game with no restrictions
Skill of the week:
The flip flap and the Ronaldo chop.