This session contains a variety of exercises. Some of you may have less time for your session so just remove the drill of your choice. We have included tag, shooting, passing and 1 vs 1 activities. The skill of the week which the players should practice at home is the inside hook turn.
Traffic lights – 6 minutes
When playing make sure to give the players a little time to practice the skill they worked on at home last week.
Various dynamic movements and skips 4 minutes
PART 1 – 4 minutes
Balance and closed eye balance
PART 2 – 8 Minutes
Dribbling end line game
- Try to dribble quickly but keep the ball close
- Head up to observe the coach.
PART 3 – 10 Minutes
1 vs 1 to goal
- Keep the ball close when attacking the defender
- Try to be creative and use a trick or skill to beat your opponent
- Accelerate away after going past them
PART 4 – 12 Minutes
2 vs 2 After Speed Reaction:
- General organization is as per below
- This activity could also be used for 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3.
- If your teammate has the ball can you try to help them? Can they see you?
- Creativity and risk taking to score a goal
PART 5 – Skill of the week 5 minutes
The Inside Hook Turn
Play 4 vs 4 with small goals and no goalkeepers. Play 3 vs 3 if you have less numbers. If you have a larger group set 2 small games up. Smaller games give the players many more touches of the ball and result in more dribbles, shots and goals.
We would avoid and corners or throw ins. Instead the coach should have a supply of balls ready and play one in whenever the ball goes out. There are numerous good reasons for this:
- The ball will be in play more of the time
- The coach can choose to play the ball to a player in space and explain what they are doing. This will encourage the players to move to space and make for a better quality game.
- It allows the coach to give some ball possession and touches to some of the players who may not be getting many touches of the ball