This session contains a variety of exercises. Players of this age tend to have very short attention spans so the session is deliberately kept fast moving. The players get to practice a variety of skills in a fun enviroment without spending too much time on any one activity. Some of you may have less time for your session so just remove the drill of your choice. We have included tag, shooting, passing and 1 vs 1 activities.
SHOOTING FOR THE STARS U 13+
There is a saying that “If you don’t buy a ticket, you cant win the lottery”. The same analogy applies to shooting on goal. Players should be guided to take shooting opportunities as early as possible, rather than delaying for other, more difficult, options.
Often it will be a case of its less of a mistake to take the shot and miss as opposed to not taking the shot at all.
This session contains a variety of exercises. Some of you may have less time for your session so just remove the drill of your choice. We have included tag, shooting, passing and 1 vs 1 activities. The skill of the week which the players should practice at home is the inside hook turn.
Traffic lights – 6 minutes
When playing make sure to give the players a little time to practice the skill they worked on at home last week.
TRAINING SESSION : U6-U8 – Shooting, dribbling, agility, ball familiarity (the drag back)
For most players the years 6 through 8 represent their first experience of soccer. If these experiences are good they may well become soccer players for life. If the experiences are bad they may quit the game before they even get going. Player at these ages have specific training needs and treats that need to be taken into account when planning a training session.
This end game has multiple outcomes for all players in any position of the field
Area is half or two-thirds of a field depending on age
- 2 goals with goalkeepers are back-to-back central on the field
- 2 teams have a player wide either side and deep at the end of their area
- Both teams start at one end other than the designated wide and deep players
- The team with all their players in the half attempt to combine to create scoring opportunities
- The other team prevent goals and try to regain possession and switch play to their own end
- If successful all players switch to the other end of the field and the objectives are reversed
- Rotate outside players
Key coaching points:
- All techniques for shooting on goal
- All techniques for finishing when 1v1 with the goalkeeper
- All techniques for finishing from a cross
- Quick combination play
- Be alert to both quick offensive and defensive transition
Now move onto the next practice below: